Saturday, December 22, 2007

Peace....


I so wish that I was as good with words and explaining my thoughts as my husband is. But, you're stuck with me who has many thoughts rolling around in my head but very limited in my vocabulary.
~~~~~~~~
Perhaps it's my own frame of mind or my low expectations being surprisingly proven wrong. But, people in general throughout the town seem more cheerful this Christmas. And I don't mean in the fluffy Disney way. I'm talking sincere cheerfulness. I know this time last year I was extremely stressed out with work and had concerns for my mother who was in poor health. This year I've lowered expectations on myself as I face holidays without Mom who went to be with Jesus last February. Christmas is different this year in many ways. And I'm thinking I'm not the only one who had a difficult 2007. Everyone has had it rough and everyone has concerns for their family, close loved ones, their nation, the world economically, politically and environmentally. I somehow think that the people I came across today in the grocery store and shops were thinking...."Awe...Can't we all just get along?!" Or maybe it's my imagination. But, I so enjoyed having a casual chat with the lady at the cash register in the grocery store who was German and we both described how we celebrate Christmas in our home countries. And I so appreciated the gentleman who wished me a Happy Christmas as he held the door for me and the very considerate driver who allowed me to pull out in the the very busy road of traffic. When someone is so caring and cheerful you can't help but pass it on. And oh how I wish this spirit would remain all year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:14
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jesus came as our Prince of Peace. I don't know if we will ever see peace around the world. But, I know that before we can share peace with others we must have the peace within. And I have found that there can peace within me while everything around me is going wrong. Peace in the midst of the storm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. John 16:33
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wonderful Peace

Far a-way in the depths of my spirit to-night
Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm;
In celestial like strains it unceasingly falls
O'er my soul like an infinite calm.

(Chorus)

Peace! Peace! Wonderful peace.
Coming down from the Father above!
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray,
In fathomless billows of love.

What a treasure I have in this wonderful peace,
Buried deep in the heart of my soul;
So secure that no power can mine it away
While the years of eternity roll;

I am resting tonight in this wonderful peace,
Resting sweetly in Jesus' control;
For I'm kept from all danger by night and by day,
And glory is flooding my soul.

And I think when I rise o that city of peace,
Where the author of peace I shall see,
That one strain of the song
which the ransomed will sing,
In that heavenly kingdom shall be.

O my soul, are you here without comfort or rest,
Marching down the rough pathway of time?
Make the Savior your friend
when the shadows grow dark;
O accept this sweet peace so sublime.

1 comment:

As We Sail... said...

What a nice post for Christmas. Another song that brings back memories of listening to Doug Oldham.