Saturday, December 8, 2007

Jesus, name above all names....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS:
for he shall save his people from their sins. Matthew 1:21
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In every country and culture names are very important. During our family reunion this past Autumn our family discussed the meaning of each of our names. And this is something that has been rolling around in the empty chambers of my mind for the past few months. The name of Jesus is quite different then any name given to anyone. There is power in that name. Within the last few years I've come in contact with some friends and colleagues who are of various religions and faiths. I met a lady working in a Chinese restaurant and we started conversing with each other in Manderine Chinese. I learned a little Chinese while I was in college because I had made friends with a few of the Chinese girls on campus. We began talking about where she came from and how she had come to live in North Carolina. During my recent visit to North Carolina I made a normal practise of going to my favourite Chinese restaurant after church on Wednesday nights. This lady began to recognise me after a few visits and mentioned how happy I appeared and asked where I had come from all dressed up. So, I explained that I attended the church down the road. She pulled a book out from under the counter that she had been reading and asked if I had heard of it. It was the book, Confident Woman written by Joyce Myers. I had read the book myself recently. So, this gave me the perfect opportunity to say...."Does this mean you are a Christian believer?" She said, " I study Buddha meditation and we believe all religions lead to the same god and we can learn something from all religions." Buddhism comes across as a very peaceful religion but, I do believe there is only way to God and that is through Jesus.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since our conversation this young lady has been laying heavy on my heart. I can see the search for truth in her eyes. Another customer came in and I was not able to finish my conversation. So, as I walked out to the parking lot I began thinking of how I could witness to her. I thought...well she is not apposed to reading Christian literature. So, the next day I went to the Bible Book Store and looked for a book that would help point her to Jesus. I wanted to get her something that would be familiar to her culture and upbringing. So, I got her the book (and also a copy for myself) Walking from East to West by Ravi Zaharias. Ravi was born in India and was raised in Hinduism. His family moved to America where he was educated and later became a Christian. He is now a very well known professor and speaker on Christian apologetics. So, I'm praying that she is reading this book and she is finding the truth in the Gospel of Jesus Christ who died for her sins.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are a few differences between Christianity and all other religions in the world, one being the concept of grace. All other religions teach that people must do something to earn their way to be accepted by god. The idea that Jesus being God incarnate, born of a virgin came to live as a man and gave His life so that we may go free....well it's just crazy and such a far fetched idea to them and well...too easy. But, it is that easy. It is that wonderful gift of salvation that we celebrate at this time of year.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another thing I've noticed is that all other religions, cults and ideologies distract and point away from Jesus. And I'm finding within the Christian churches and circles that people are becoming more and more intimidated into not even using the name of Jesus in their teaching or conversation. Everyone refers to God but it is important that we do not leave out Jesus. He is the One who sets us apart from all other religions and cults. I've noticed some Christians even apologize for using His name. There is nothing to apologize about and we should not be ashamed to mention the name of Jesus. There is power in that name. There is healing in that name and protection. I've been in situations in the past where I was very unsure of the spirit of the events unfolding around me and I would mention the name of Jesus out loud as my protection. For it is at the mention of His name that Satan has to flea. I can remember when I was a young child laying in bed with a high fever. My Dad knelt by my bed and prayed. When he mentioned that beautiful name of Jesus, peace would sweep over me and I would calm down enough to sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is important that the church, the body of believers point people to Jesus. It is more important now then ever before. Let us not be ashamed of Jesus for He may be ashamed of us one day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phil 2:7-11

...But made himself of no reputation,
and took upon him the form of a servant,
and was made in the likeness of men:
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself,
and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him,
and given him a name which is above every name:
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven,
and things in earth, and things under the earth;
And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



JESUS JESUS JESUS

THERE'S JUST SOMETHING ABOUT THAT NAME

MASTER SAVIOR JESUS

LIKE THE FRAGRANCE AFTER THE RAIN

JESUS JESUS JESUS

LET ALL HEAVEN AND EARTH PROCLAIM

KINGS AND KINDOMS SHALL ALL PASS AWAY

BUT THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT THAT NAME

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Jesus, name above all names

Beautiful Savior, glorious Lord.

Emmanuel, God is with us.

Blessed Redeemer, Living word.

1 comment:

Ben said...

"I consider that the chief dangers which confront the coming century will be religion without the Holy Ghost, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God, and heaven without hell."

- William Booth. Your post reminded me of it thanks to the "Christianity without Christ" bit.

Thanks for letting me know your blog exists - I'm looking forward to reading more!